The University of Florida is the lead institution of the Southeastern Coastal Center for Agricultural Health and Safety, partnering with the University of South Florida (USF), Florida State University (FSU), Florida A&M University (FAMU), Emory University, and the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI). These universities are working together on a range of interdisciplinary research and educational projects designed to promote occupational health and safety among employers, families, and workers at the 240,000 farms estimated by the US Department of Agriculture to be operating in the region, as well as forestry and fishery industries.
In order to develop programs that address gaps in needs of agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries workers in the Southeast, the Southeastern Coastal Center for Agricultural Health and Safety is hosting a special, one-day, Community Stakeholder Advisory Meeting on Tuesday, October 24, from 10 a.m. to noon at these THREE locations across Florida and South Georgia (Apopka and Gainesville in Florida, and Valdosta in Georgia).
In addition to these physical locations, we will provide two opportunities for remote connectivity including video streaming and Facebook Live. We will provide information via email to pre-registrants about a week before the meeting on how to access the video streaming or Facebook Live presentation – which will allow interactivity for those participating online. To register for the SCCAHS Community Stakeholder Advisory Meeting, please indicate your choice on the Eventbrite registration.
Registration and networking at the in-person sites will begin at 9:30. This meeting will provide an opportunity for SCCAHS leaders to interact directly with representatives from agriculture, forestry and fisheries industries; farmworker, fishery, and forestry organizations; public agencies; regulatory and training organizations; and Extension.
At this meeting, you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about and participate in identifying the most important occupational health and safety issues in Florida and the Southeast.
- Provide direction for the center¹s activities in enhancing the safety and health of workers in agriculture, forestry, and fishery industries.
The SCCAHS’s Community Stakeholder Advisory Meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 24, from 10 a.m. to noon, with registration and networking from 9:30-10, at the following FIVE locations:
- Apopka, FL: UF/IFAS Mid-Florida Research & Education Center, 2725 S. Binion Rd., Apopka FL 32703
- Gainesville, FL: Florida Farm Bureau Building, 5700 SW 34th St, Gainesville, FL 32614
- Valdosta, GA: Goodwill Industries of the Southern Rivers, Inc., 1000 E North Saint Augustine Road, Valdosta, GA 31601